The first thing to know is to stop rubbing your beard dry with a towel. Rubbing your beard dry with a towel roughens up the hair cuticle. That can weaken your hair and cause breakage as well as creating tangles and frizziness. You should blot and/or squeeze dry your beard with a towel. The best type of towel to use is our Beard Towel (available soon). It is a soft 100% cotton jersey knit material that is extra gentle on your beard while being absorbant to whisk away the excess water from your beard.
If you want to use a hair dryer to dry your beard then here are some tips to help avoid damaging it while doing it.
- Don't use a brush with a metal barrel. The metal barrel will heat up and can burn the hair.
- Always use the concentrator attachment. This keeps the heat element at the tip of the dryer from touching the hair and burning the hair.
- Use a warm heat setting.
- Keep the dryer moving at all times. Do not let the dryer stay in one place for any length of time. This could dry out the hair and cause heat damage.
- Use the cool shot feature on the hair dryer (if it has one). This will cool down the hair and help set in the style.
- Apply a heat protectant prior to drying your beard.
If you are looking to purchase a hair dryer, here are some things to look for:
- Ceramic thermal grill
- distributes the heat more evenly
- Far Infrared heating element
- Dries the hair from the inside out
- Adds shine and smoothes hair while minimizing fly-aways
- Cold Shot button
- Multiple heat settings / air speeds
- For drying differnet types of hair types and styles
- Low EMF emissions
- For improved environmental conditions